|The South African food based dietary guidelines recommend the following to help South Africans over the age of 5 years to choose an adequate but prudent diet. The guidelines are based on the existing consumption of locally available foods and aim to address identified nutrition-related public health problems.
The guidelines are as follows:
• Enjoy a variety of foods.
• Be active.
• Make starchy foods the basis of most meals.
• Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.
• Eat dry beans, peas, lentils and soya often.
• Meat, fish, chicken, milk and eggs can be eaten every day.
• Eat fats sparingly.
• Use salt sparingly.
• Drink lots of clean, safe water.
• If you drink alcohol, drink sensibly.